University of Arkansas at Fort Smith
Joined System: 2002
At a Glance:
The University of Arkansas at Fort Smith (UAFS) joined the UA System in 2002 and began transitioning from a two-year college to a four-year regional university. Originally established in 1928 as part of the local school system with college-parallel course offerings, UAFS now offers numerous bachelor’s degrees in addition to a full range of certificates of proficiency, technical certificates and associate degrees, as well as a full program providing training and education to employees in area business and industry.
As a regional university with a mission and vision to connect education with careers, UAFS focuses on preparing students to succeed in an ever-changing global world while advancing economic development and quality of place. The institution embraces partnerships with multiple regional entities, signifying the importance of continued efforts to enhance the community’s educational level and global awareness while keeping teaching and learning at the focus of all that is done.
Points of Pride
- UAFS conferred an all-time record 627 bachelor’s degrees in 2011-12, for an 18 percent increase over the previous record year. Enrollment stats also revealed the highest ever upper-class enrollments, unduplicated headcount enrollment above 7,300 for the fourth successive fall semester, the second highest first-time entering class, the third highest FTE enrollment and a record 72 percent enrollment of students age 25 and under.
- An increase in the average ACT scores of first-time, full-time students was recorded for the 2011-12 year, up to 21.96, considerably higher than both national and state averages.
- Generous support from an expanding base of alumni and friends has helped UAFS build an endowment in excess of $53 million, with the announcement in spring 2013 of results of a recent $50 million giving campaign.
- An expansion to Boreham Library is underway on campus and will be dedicated in Spring 2013, increasing the size of the facility from 30,000 square-feet to more than 70,000 square-feet and providing expanded services for UAFS students.
- To continue to provide a unified campus look and guide for the next 20 years, UAFS is firming up a new master plan, which will focus on the iconic bell tower in the center of the grounds, the cutting-edge classrooms and laboratories and the award-winning landscaping.