Joined System: 2002
At a Glance:
The University of Arkansas at Fort Smith (UAFS) was created in 1928 as citizens responded to the need to establish an institution of higher education to improve the local workforce. UAFS continues that tradition today as a regional university with a mission and vision to connect education with careers and a focus on preparing students to succeed in an ever-changing global world while advancing economic development and quality of place.
UAFS is renewing the focus on workforce development. By offering certificates and two- and four-year degree programs, students are being prepared for careers in the “real world” in traditional and cutting-edge technological fields such as robotics, information science technology, and cyber security. New degrees, such as a program focusing on the latest relational database management systems, are being developed to keep pace with changing business and industry needs.
Points of Pride
- UAFS awarded bachelor’s degrees to 697 students in 2012-13, an increase of 11.2% from 2011-12. A majority of these graduates remain in the area, positively impacting the local workforce and economic growth of the Arkansas River Valley.
- Eighty seven percent of UAFS graduates in the 2011-12 academic year gained employment or sought to continue their educations following graduation.
- UAFS is in the midst of the process to change the University’s role and scope. The first proposed master’s degree is an online program in health care administration.
- UAFS unveiled an ambitious 20-year campus master plan in 2014. Ground has broken on a new visual arts building which will open to students in fall 2015, and a new student recreation and wellness center will be built in 2015.
- Generous support from an expanding base of alumni and friends has helped UAFS build an endowment in excess of $57 million, with total assets equaling close to $90 million.
- The College of Business achieved accreditation from AACSB International, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.