Projects must comply with the laws of the State of Arkansas governing design requirements and design reviews and approvals.
The Chancellor or Vice President shall designate the appropriate individual to serve as the owners’ representative responsible for managing consultant and construction contracts. Such designee may appoint a representative to provide day-to-day communication and coordination of a consultant’s work and construction contracts.
Regardless of the location of the campus location within the State of Arkansas, all capital improvement projects must be designed to comply with the following:
- The Arkansas Building Code as adopted by the Arkansas State Police State Fire Marshall’s Office, which is part of the Fire Prevention Code. Arkansas is currently under the 2007 Edition of the Code, which took effect on August 1, 2008. The Code is based on 2006 editions of the International Fire, Building, and Residential Codes with some Arkansas changes. The Arkansas laws should have precedence over the Arkansas Fire Prevention Code where they exceed the requirements of that code. All project designs shall comply with all applicable Arkansas laws and the Arkansas Fire Prevention Code.
- The Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines (ADAAG) for Buildings and Facilities is the standard for all new construction and alterations as established in 28 CFR 35, Appendix A, as amended. In instances such as parking, in which Arkansas law conflicts with the American’s with Disabilities Act, the more stringent requirements shall be met.
- Earthquake Resistant Design for Public Structures in accordance with Arkansas Act 1100 of 1991 (A.C.A §§12-80-101 through 12-80-106 as amended).
- Floodplain Management Guidelines
- See section X. Act 1494: Energy Conservation in Public Buildings in these capital construction policies and procedures for more information.
- Institutional Design Guidelines: Certain campuses maintain specific design standards in accordance with their own capital construction policies and procedures.
*To ensure the most accurate and up-to-date information, please check for Arkansas Code changes by searching the code section on this free Arkansas Code Search:http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/arcode/Default.asp